Friday, February 12, 2010

A Well Balanced Mind


As I was doing some Bible study tonight, I read this verse:
II Timothy 1:7 NIV
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.


This verse immediately captured my attention and I loved it! I decided to dig a little deeper and used my new favorite tool: Bible Gateway. I don't know why it took me so long to use this site, especially because I love "all things computerish". I knew about it but never used it.
sidebar: You should know that I have this thing with different versions of the Bible. I am not a fan. I am a "King James" kind of girl. I'm sure it's thanks to my good ole fashioned southern Baptist upbringing and my Dad. In recent years, I have "gotten over it" and began using the NIV. Well, I have gone really crazy and I have began studying verses by looking at different translations in Bible Gateway. It really has shed some light on the verses I have been studying.
So I looked up II Tim. 1:7 in the Amplified Bible. It said:
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity (of cowardice, of craven and cringing and fawning fear) but He has given us a spirit of power and of love and of calm and well-balanced mind and discipline and self-control.

Wow!! This really struck me. We (women) tend to give in to so many un-Christlike attitudes because of fears, insecurities, hormones, mood swings...you name it. And though these are legitimate feelings and realities, because we are women does not give us a license to not be self-controlled. (Unfortunately, our families experience the brunt of this.) God has given us a calm and well-balanced mind!! Do you feel calm and well-balanced? I know I have my moments when I certainly do not feel that way! But those feelings are not from God. He has not given us fear and insecurities. This is spiritual warfare, my friends!
The Message Bible says "...God doesn't want us to be shy with His gifts, but bold and loving and SENSIBLE."

I want to cling to this verse when timidity (fear), and a lack of love, and self-discipline rear its ugly head in my heart and life. I will claim this verse in my life daily!!
II Timothy 1:7 will certainly be my memory verse for next week!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

 
Design by April Showers