Sunday, April 25, 2010

Do Everything Without Arguing and Complaining-This Means You!


We went to Sam's Club yesterday to browse and as we entered through the doors the 30 flat screen t.v.'s were playing Avatar. The first thing my children see as we pass by the t.v.'s is one blue guy stabbing another in the throat area. Dylan mentioned several times as we walked through the store how he couldn't get the image out of his mind. Well, at that, I began to get angry. Later when we stopped by my parents' house for a visit I ranted and raved on how I'm going to call Sam's and complain and tell them how inappopriate it is to show movies that may not have family-friendly content. I was going to give them a piece of my mind! Let me explain why the movie Avatar (maybe not even the whole movie but that scene in particular) might be upsetting to me: In our home ever since our children were born, we have taken Phillipians 4:8 very seriously: Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-think about such things.
Brian and I also have implemented this into our viewing choices as well-we don't watch rated R movies or even some PG 13 movies or t.v. shows that have content that may be sexual or have otherwise strong content.
As a teacher, I have always been able to tell the children that are allowed to watch "whatever they want" by their actions, speech and attitudes. My teaching experience made it easy when we became parents to make the choice to monitor what our family watched.
Off my soapbox....
Today we went back to Sam's to print out some pics and Avatar was again playing. We quickly walked past the t.v.'s with Dylan telling Holly, "Don't look". When we sat down to eat our $1.50 hot dog combo for lunch, Dylan began ranting and raving about the need for us to complain about how ridiculous it is to have that movie playing for all to see. It wasn't just what he was saying but the tone in which he was saying it that was realllllly bad. I hate when that happens-YOU KNOW, when your kids say things that sound really awful, only for you to realize that they sound just. like. you.!!!
At that moment I heard the verse that God gave us a few years ago that we use frequently in our home: Phillipians 2:14 Do everything without complaining and arguing. But that wasn't the end of what God said to me...He then said-"This means YOU!" Ouch. I have never thought of this verse in that context. If someone wrongs ME -at a restaurant or in any other customer service capacity-isn't it my duty to complain?? Wait, how did that verse go: Do EVERYTHING without complaining and arguing. So, I was obedient in that moment and told Dylan that we will not complain, and of course reminded him of the verse. We decided that we would make the deliberate choice not to look at the t.v.'s when we walk in from now on until I'm sure that it's "safe".
I have to admit that I love hate how much God has grown me in this process of parenting. He has taught ME, changed ME, and loved ME so much as I teach my children. And I really do love it...
(Sorry for the lengthy post, but it was bound to happen after 3 weeks of not blogging!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

 
Design by April Showers