Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Perfection Ain't Happenin' Here...


I want to be the perfect Christ follower, Wife, Mom, Daughter, Friend, Teacher and Citizen. But perfection ain't happenin' here-so I have to give up things to do my best in all of these areas, because they are ALL a apart of who I am and they are ALL necessary.I read a post on God Speaks Today about keeping the balance in our lives. It provoked a lot of thought on my part about the things I don't do to keep my life (and the life of my family) balanced. Some of the things that I have given up in the name of sanity are:

1. I don't watch soap operas, specifically my all time favorite General Hospital.
2. I don't keep up with American Idol and Dancing with the Stars though I love the shows.
3. I don't enroll my children in more than one extra curricular activity at a time.
4. I don't grocery shop during the week.
5. I don't make my bed in the morning.
6. I don't keep up with extended family birthdays.
7. I don't blow dry my hair everyday.
8. I don't fold and put away my children's laundry (they do it!)
9. I don't take out the garbage (my son does).
10. I don't feed, water, or walk the dog. (my son does).
11. I don't make homemade bread.
12. I don't serve in the church nursery.
13. I don't get manicures or pedicures. (unless it's a special occasion)
14. I don't sleep past 7:30.
15. I don't play farmville or mafiaville or whateverville.
16. I don't make breakfasts for my children that don't come from a box or have "frozen" in the title.
17. I don't volunteer in my children's classrooms.
18. I don't take my children to birthday parties that aren't family or my closest friends.
19. I don't go to church on Wednesday night.
20. I don't iron.
21. I don't buy my children anything (clothes or toys) outside of birthdays, Christmas, or extra extra special occasions.
22. I don't clean my children's room (they do).
23. I don't go to every event that I'm invited to.
24. I don't crochet or knit.
25. I don't grade papers or do schoolwork at home.
26. I don't shop online.
27. I don't stay up past 10 p.m. on weekdays.
28. I don't fix my daughter's hair with fancy braids or hairdos in the morning.
29. I don't let my laundry get piled up.
30. I don't read magazines (that don't have recipes in them :)).
31. I don't keep a stack of "junk mail" I read it and toss it immediately.
32. I don't vacuum more than once a week.
33. I don't clean the bathrooms with anything besides Lysol wipes. (love those things!)
34. I don't stay at work past 3:30 unless I am required to for a meeting.
35. I don't let my children play or watch t.v. until homework is done.
36. I don't clean the sliding glass doors.
37. I don't make my husband's lunch.

Though it makes me sad that I can't do some of these things (like 6, 11, 16, 17,28),
I know that the balance in my life makes me a better servant to Christ and those around me.
Colossians 3:23
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.

What DON'T you do?

2 Comments:

  1. Kris,

    Thanks for sharing your list. I'm particularly intrigued by not taking your kids to b-day parties and not making your bed. I'm jealous (in the holiest of ways) that you are able to not do those things.

    I also don't make breakfast for the kids unless it comes from a box or has frozen in the title. That one made me giggle. In fact, my oldest isn't hungry before school...I stopped forcing her to eat and so now I only have to pour cereal for two. :)

    Thanks for reading my blog. You're a sweetheart.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Just wanted to let you know that you are always such an encouragement to me! So glad I know ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    And it's nice to know that it's okay to NOT do some of the "good" stuff.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

 
Design by April Showers