Friday, June 11, 2010

Keepin' 'Em Busy!

I had an urge to make meatballs this week. Probably because Target had a pound of ground beef on sale for $1.49 and I bought as many as I could pack in my freezer! So I decided to kill two birds with one stone and give the kids something fun to do while I fed my meatball-makin' urge!
Holly had lots of fun making these simple meatballs.
Here's the ingredients:


I chopped the onions finely. Then Holly threw in the 3/4 c. of bread crumbs, one egg, 2 tbsp. worcheshire, and 1/4 cup. of onions, salt and pepper and a couple of shakes of garlic salt.


Then, she rolled the meatballs and put them on a greased cookie sheet. They baked for 20 minutes at 375. They smelled deliciouso as they were cooking!


Lastly, I put them in the little crock with some bbq sauce. We'll have them for dinner tonight with some salad and tater tots.



For their afternoon snack, we made homemade soft pretzels. They were super simple and fun to make. And even Dylan, who was "too cool" to make meatballs with us, couldn't resist joining in on this one! Here's the ingredients:

I bought bread dough in the freezer section of the grocery. I wanted to get whole wheat dough but they didn't have any. It was super cheap at 3 loaves for about 3 bucks. I put one frozen loaf covered in a bowl overnight so it could thaw and rise a bit.

I dumped some flour on the counter and they rolled out the dough and used a pizza cutter to cut strips. I showed them how to do the pretzel shape. But they also made some hearts, letters, and whatever else they wanted. Then, they brushed the egg on each pretzel and sprinkled cinnamon sugar on each one.


The pretzels baked for about 20 minutes at 350. When they came out of the oven we brushed melted butter on each one and sprinkled some more cinnamon sugar on them. While they may not look pretty, I promise you, they were yuuummmmmmyy!!


We definitely had fun and stayed busy without spending tons of money! Stay tuned for more posts on the topic of "Keepin' 'Em Busy!"

I'm linking up with Tidy Mom!

2 Comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Great fun with the pretzels! What a cool simple idea. We will definately be trying that. I hope I have better luck finding the whole weat dough, though. My boys always enjoy when I find ways to let them 'cook' their own lunch. I've enjoyed your blog. I don't 'follow' every blog I read just to get readership but I'm now following yours and look forword to reading more. Have a beautiful day!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you do anything else with the dough? Just shape and bake, basically? Just curious. Sounds wonderful! Wish I had more counter space for the kids to spread out and have fun like yours are!
    Thank you for your blog I love reading it!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

 
Design by April Showers