Sunday, June 6, 2010

Praying for Brad and Angelina...


Quite often God brings areas of my life to light and shows me how He wants to control those areas that I have kept from Him. One area that He has been pruning in me for quite some time is the area of gossip. Now I'm sure I'll step on some toes here...but in my defense God stepped on mine first, so...
There's the obvious gossip-talking about others behind their back. This is one that I struggled with for quite awhile. After all, I am a woman and we women loovvvee to talk. Many times I did it "innocently" but the Lord has grown me tremendously in this area. Proverbs is full of instruction about gossip and I take it very seriously. Though, I am not perfected in this area, I wouldn't say it is an area that I "stuggle" with any longer. But...as I have been doing the personal Bible study "One in a Million" by Priscilla Shirer, this question was asked,
"What specific things is God asking you to leave behind so you can more closely follow Him?" The answer immediately that came to mind was "gossip".
What? I thought I had that one checked off my (long)list.
Here's the clincher-I like celebrity gossip. I may not buy the magazines, but I like to read them at the check out lines, read about it on my internet homepage and I've even been known (if my kids aren't in the room, of course) to turn on EXTRA. Is celebrity gossip really "gossip"? I mean, how can I pray for the Gosselins and Brad and Angelina if I don't know what's going on with them??? ;)
Of course, the answer can be found in Scripture:
Phil. 4:8 Finally, brothers (sisters), whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-think about such things.
If I'm really being honest-there is NOTHING, NADA, ZIP, ZERO on the magazine covers, on TMZ, on Extra or Entertainment Tonight that fits the Phillipians 4:8 bill.

Not that I've ever experienced this...but here's a piece of that "innocent" gossip I talked about...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

 
Design by April Showers