Monday, July 5, 2010

Have a New Kid By Friday...


My latest summer read was Have a New Kid By Friday by Dr. Kevin Leman. Let me just tell you, this is a "must read" by all parents. Whether you have an "ankle-biter" or one of the members of the "hormone group" as he calls them, I promise this will be a worthwhile read for you. I heard about this book from James Dobson. And went ran to the bookstore to get it. My oldest child, Dylan, is turning 12 this summer and I have been seeing glimpses of that teen attitude. Nothing major-but I see my sweet, compliant, people-pleasing child changing before my eyes. I am not convinced that the teen years have to be "hell" as I see and hear all around me. So I've been reading AND praying! I just finished Bringing Up Boys and loved it and gleaned so much from it. Now I just finished Dr. Leman's book and "WOW"! Such great, practical strategies in this book.
How do you know if you need this book? Here is one of the checklists in the book:
About your children:
*Do they have to be asked to help around the house on a daily basis?
*Do they disrespect you and not value what you have to say?
*Do they fuss about obeying you?
*Do they lack for nothing?
*Are they engaged in one or more extracurricular activities?
*Do they need to be reminded more than once to do something?
*Is bedtime a battle zone?
*When they slam the door in your face do you write it off as "that's just the way kids are"?

If these topics resonated with you or you answered yes to even one of these questions then you need this book!!

I would say you could borrow it from me-but I will be carrying it with me for the next week...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

 
Design by April Showers