Sunday, January 9, 2011

WHATEVER you do...



Rewind 10 years. If you entered my house you would not find a neat, tidy, organized home. You would find exactly the opposite. Being a working mom with small children kept me from having the structured, pleasant, clean home I desired. Fast forward 10 years. My home certainly is not PERFECTLY clean (as I would like it to be). There are cleaning projects all over that I see undone (dusty closet door slats, bathroom grout that needs to be scrubbed, bathroom that needs to be painted, etc.). But, generally, you could stop by anytime and I wouldn't stop you at that door pretending to be sick, or not even answer the door because the house is such a disaster. (YOU know you've done it or at least wanted too!) My children are older (6 & 12), and I've gotten into a groove. It feels good. But I think the real secret became very clear to me just this past Saturday during my weekend cleaning. I was putting clothes in the dryer and quietly thanking the Lord for a working washer & dryer. I then began thanking Him for all the dirty clothes that he's provided us with. I caught myself praising Him for our small, comfy, modest home that He has provided us. Colossians 3:23 immediately came to mind. So this is what it means to "work willingly at whatever you do".
If this doesn't come so naturally to you as you're on your 18th load of laundry or scrubbing yet another toilet, I encourage you to purpose to thank God as you clean. Sometimes being a homemaker is a thankless job, IF we're doing it for man. It would save us all a lot of pressure, resentment, and feelings of inadequacy if we worked as unto the Lord in WHATEVER we do. So hide this verse in your heart this week and Happy Cleaning!
Colossians 3:23
Work willingly at WHATEVER you do, as though you were CLEANING for the Lord rather than for people.

I'm linking here:

1 Comments:

  1. What a great post!
    This blessed me today - thank you :-)
    joy in Christ..Trish

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

 
Design by April Showers