Monday, March 21, 2011

Spring is in the... CUPCAKE!

Isn't this the cutest flower garden you've ever seen?! These are the only flowers that I can take care of - I can't keep a plant alive to save my life!  I saw this adorable cupcake on the side of a Pillsbury box.
First, bake the cupcakes in a flat bottomed ice cream cone.
Once they've cooled, frost them with chocolate icing and dip in green sprinkles.  The idea is a dirt/grassy look.  Then, it's time for the flowers.  These took some time-probably a good hour.  But the end result was worth it.  You'll need spice drops and green toothpicks.  I found these at Publix.
To make the center of the flower, cut the top and bottom vertically from the spice drop.  The middle won't have the pretty sugary look.
To make the petals, flatten a spice drop, then cut it into four sections horizontally.
Turn the center of the flower so the non-sugary, sticky side is up.  Press five petals with the rounded side towards the center onto the center.   It will look like this:
Then, when you turn it over and add a toothpick to the center it looks like this:
You could also cut green fruit drops to make stems to add to the toothpick.  I did a couple of stems and decided I was almost over it!  But as I said the end result is worth it!
Happy Spring!
Tip Junkie handmade projects

 

6 Comments:

  1. stinking cute!

    I am having 2 giveaways on my blog.

    $40 store credit to get a drawstring backpack with an adorable applique, great from summer camp and trips and lovely spring hair accessories for girls. You just have to leave a comment to win.
    http://houseonashwelllane.blogspot.com/2011/03/40-store-credit-free-shipping-from-o-to.html

    I am having a giveaway on my blog. $35 + free shipping to get a custom trendy backpack for your kid from Paige Holliday Designs. All you have to do is leave a comment.
    http://houseonashwelllane.blogspot.com/2011/03/35-store-credit-free-shipping-to-get.html

    Holly would love these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here from the bloghop.
    I follow you on GFC. I'd love for you to follow me back
    Tiffany
    http://tiffspixiedust.blogspot.com
    Tiffypoot @ (aol.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are having a CHOCOLATE... CHOCOLATE... and MORE CHOCOLATE linky party over at THIS WEEK’S CRAVINGS, we are already enjoying over 125 recipes so far and would love to have you link up your recipe too.

    It's gonna be a really SWEET week.

    http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/2011/03/this-weeks-cravings-21-chocolate-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Kris! Greetings from the Philippines! I found your blog from Paisley Passion's Wandering Wednesday. I enjoy reading your blog and seeing pictures of your family.

    Your work is so cute and creative! I never thought that you can do more with the typical ice cream cone.

    I hope we could develop a connection by following each others blog. That would really make me happy.

    I wish you more happy moments with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kris, these are so cute. When I lived near you and we went to church together, I had no idea what a baker you are. Why is that?

    I don't know how you have the time to be so creative in the kitchen. I can barely throw together a dinner.

    See what I mean at:
    imamediocremom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are adorable! I saw your link on Comfy in the Kitchen and popped on by. I'll have to try these as a special treat with my kids! I hope you'll check my blog out, www.icantstopcrafting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

 
Design by April Showers