When I first read these 10 things I had an A-HA moment! These are exactly the things that need to be present in my home. I can look at this list and pick out the things that I am already doing that have been successful. I am posting this top 10 list in my home and I encourage you to do the same!
Top 10 Ways to Give Life To Our Home, By Renee Behringer
(Excerpt from 31 Days to Clean)
1.) Retrain our tongues to give words that encourage, comfort and edify others.
2) Offer life-giving and grace-filled words to husband and children.
3) Make our homes a place of grace where mistakes and sins are not met with anger but with love and hope.
4) Decorate our homes to make home a place of beauty. Beauty raises life above mere existence.
5) Develop necessary cleaning skills and habits; clutter causes stress.
6) Face our anger, anxiety, fear and depression. Our homes reflect our mental/spiritual/emotional health. Ask the Lord to replace these emotions with faith and hope.
7) Plan regular times away from home to rejuvenate and gain perspective.
8) Persevere in planning fun activities for family on weekends or ordinary weekdays.
9) Play praise or worship music in home to lift everyone’s spirits.
(Even King Saul in the Bible, when the Holy Spirit had left him, was refreshed and calmed by David’s worship.)
10) Ask the Lord: What areas of my home are causing stress or bringing spiritual/emotional/mental ‘deadness’? What can I do to bring life to those places instead to make them a place of refuge?
All of these suggestions have risen out of a heart that longs to be this kind of woman, yet has consistently failed in all of these areas. Some suggestions are on my ‘impossible prayer list’ of what I’m asking God to do this year in my life! I have seen the ill effects of doing the opposite of what I’ve written. I know that I don’t want to live that way anymore! Instead, I’m striving to develop diligence in these areas to bring life to my home flowing over from the One Who gives life freely to all who ask. May He encourage us in our life-giving.
"If you follow these precepts [all the things we should do] all of your life, you will find at the end of it not a perfect trouble free life, but a blessed one. When you fail, get right back up, repent and start all over again with God’s grace to do the very things that He wants you to do. You will not ever be sorry.”