Sunday, July 31, 2011

Aunt Erran's Peanut Butter Fudge Cake



 I love making meals for others, whether it's in my home to fellowship or delivering them in a time of need.  I never realized that making meals was a ministry.  But I now view it that way.  I can see that God has given me a love of cooking and He uses that to bless others.

I'm always looking for great recipes that are different and of course, delicious, for my meal ministry.  This cake recipe fits the bill for sure.  I copied this recipe from my Aunt Erran many years ago.  I've recently rediscovered it and can't get enough of it!  I've made quite a few "chocolate/peanut butter cakes" over the years and NONE compare to this cake! It will "wow" your guests and/or family-I promise!

Ingredients for cake:
1 c. margarine (melted and left to cool slightly)
1/4 c. cocoa
1 c. water
1/2 c. buttermilk
2 eggs, beaten
2 c. sugar
2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla

First, melt the butter.  Be sure to put a paper towel over the bowl so you don't have a mess to clean up later!

In a bowl beat together the eggs, cocoa, buttermilk and water. Don't add the butter yet!

Let the butter cool for a couple of minutes and make sure you've blended the other ingredients well. Then, add the butter.  If you add the hot butter with the eggs, you'll end up with chunks of cooked eggs in your cake.  (I may or may not have done this the first time I made this cake).

In a separate bowl, stir together the sugar, flour, baking soda and vanilla.

Then add the cocoa mixture and blend well.

Pour into a greased 13x9 baking dish.  Bake for 40-50 minutes at 350 degrees.

When the cake is finished it will crack on the top.  I just made 2 of these cakes and they both did it.  No worries!

Let it cool completely.  Then gather the following ingredients for the icing (my favorite part!):
1 c. peanut butter
1 tbsp. oil
1/2 c. melted butter (or margarine)
1/4 c. cocoa
6 tbsp. of buttermilk
1 lb. confectioners sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix together the peanut butter and oil.  (The oil is just to make it spreadable.) Spread it on the cooled cake.


Melt butter and blend together the cocoa, buttermilk, vanilla and confectioners sugar.  Add more confectioners sugar as needed to bring the mixture to frosting consistency.

 Spread on top of peanut butter layer.  I LOVE this frosting so much because after you refrigerate this cake for a couple of hours it tastes like a layer of fudge on top of the cake-Yes, please!!!
See the layers???
I hope that you'll try this cake and bless someone with it!

Blessings to you,
Kris

I'm linking here:

3 Comments:

  1. YUM! I see my near future will involve making a cake!

    Thanks for the great recipe. I'll be sure to share how it turned out.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yum-o!!! I will definitely have to give this a try! Thanks for sharing! :) Lana

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good. I think I will be making this very soon :)

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

 
Design by April Showers