Friday, January 6, 2012

Meatball Subs



I've NEVER eaten a meatball sub.  A meatball on bread with no pasta just doesn't sound right.
But today, that all changed.  I decided that I wanted to make my own meatball subs.  So I did what we all do, and I scoured the internet to find and compare recipes.  This is what I came up with:
2 lbs. of ground beef and 1 lb. of ground pork

In a food processor add 3 cloves of garlic, 1 c. of fresh parsley, 2 eggs beaten, 1 small onion quartered, and 5 oz. of fresh parmesan chunked. Process thoroughly.


Set aside and grab your hoagie rolls.  This is my favorite part...Remember how Subway used to make a well in their rolls to add the meats? That's what we're going to do to keep us from losing our meatballs when we eat our subs!

Don't throw away the bread that you take from the middle! Throw it in the food processor for the bread crumbs for the meatballs-genius! You need 1 c. of bread crumbs.




Put your bread back in the bag until you're ready for it to keep it fresh.

Add the bread crumbs and onion mixture to the ground meat.  Combine it with your hands.  Fun, fun.

Add about a tablespoon of olive oil to your pan.  Form meatballs.  Mine were slightly bigger than a golf ball, but smaller than a tennis ball.  Can you visualize that? LOL


Don't they look pretty?  I cooked them with the lid on to help them cook through more quickly.
Then, carefully turn them once or twice as they cook.


Meanwhile, add two 28 ounce cans of tomato sauce to a pot and simmer.
When the meatballs are done, add them to the sauce and let them simmer for at least 20 minutes.

Toast the buns in the oven until golden brown.  Here's my 2nd favorite part...when they come out of the oven, take a large clove of garlic and rub the inside of the roll with it.  If you've never made garlic bread this way, you're in for a treat!  Garlic bread without the butter!

After you've simmered the meatballs for about 20 min. put them in the roll.  This batch was enough meatballs for 10 subs at 3 meatballs per sub.
Put slice provolone or mozzarella on top of the sub and pop them back in the oven for a minute or 2.
Look at how perfectly that meatball fits in the roll!
After you take them out of the oven put the top back on and wa-laa!




Don't forget to serve some sauce on the side to pour on top!

Meatball subs!
  

Blessings to you,
Kris





I'm linking here:

5 Comments:

  1. I'm not a huge fan of meatball subs, but yours looks SO yummy! I'm gonna try it sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, these look so good. I hope you don't mind, but I pinned it onto pinterest to try later. yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for linking up. This looks SO yummy and easy. Thanks for sharing can not wait to make this!! Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kris, this looks so delicious. Thanks for sharing it on Domestically Divine.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

 
Design by April Showers