Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Does the i in iPhone stand for idol?


I am very fond of my iPhone.  Ok, Ok, I LOVE my iphone! There's so much about it that is wonderful.  Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Reminders, iCal, texting, camera, email, Dropbox, Evernote, Safari-This does not even include all of my must have apps-banking, Starbucks, Pinterest, Flipboard, At&t, flashlight, maps, Local10, Scramble with Friends-and the list could go on.  What's not to love?

But the other day something happened, I was at a red light and I reached for my phone-like I always do, because heaven forbid I have a moment of down time, and I realized that my phone was in my purse-IN THE BACK of my van.  A little bit of panic set in.  I didn't and couldn't have my phone within my reach.  What should I do?  This can't be happening.  
That's when it hit me-I might have a problem here.

I began to take an inventory of my iPhone usage.  Was I spending more time with my iPhone than I was in God's Word? Was I spending more time with my iPhone than in prayer.  Ummm, yes and yes.
There's one word for this-IDOL-like it or not.

So, what am I doing about this? Am I going to throw out my iPhone, go on an iPhone fast, swear to only use my iPhone for calls? My iPhone is a tool, a useful one.  It's fun and it's productive.  It's not a bad thing.  But I do need balance.  One way I'm tackling my addiction (it kind of stings to say that out loud), is by reading my Bible-using the Youversion app, of course.  I've begun reading my Bible through.  So when I feel the need to grab my phone and mindlessly start tapping apps, I'm going  directly to God's Word.  Yesterday alone, I read 17 chapters of the Bible-SEVENTEEN!  
Time well spent!
After all, my desire is that this would be my heart towards my Lord:


Not the other way around.

Can you relate?   

I'm linking here:




1 Comments:

  1. I’m proud that you have come to such realization. But I believe iPhone isn’t the cause of this dilemma. You can still stay true with your beliefs, even with gadgets around you. Like what you said, it takes balance.

    Venus Eckert

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

 
Design by April Showers