Monday, July 16, 2012

A Proverbs 31 Daughter


I have been studying Proverbs 31 over at Womenlivingwell.org {and I've been loving every minute of the study! If you haven't already, check it out here! }

As I've been studying this passage, God put my daughter on my heart.  I love being a mom of a daughter.  I love the ministry I have right here in my home with my children.  So as I pondered Proverbs 31 and my daughter I thought, "Wouldn't it be easier to be that Proverbs 31 woman if we had learned about her at a younger age?"  Thus, this series "A Proverbs 31 Daughter".  My 8 year old daughter and I are memorizing this passage together and learning about what it means to be a Proverbs 31 woman!   I've always been a firm believer in making sure that we understand what we're memorizing.  The goal of memorization is not just to be able to regurgitate words. As we memorize, I will focus on one attribute of the verse(s) that will be meaningful to my daughter as an 8 year old.  Then, each week, I'll share our progress in our memorization, as well as the lessons we learn as we focus on sections of the passage.

This week's verses are 10-11.




Connection:  Our lesson for these verses is that a wife of noble character is hard to find, like the ruby slippers in the Wizard of Oz.  The wicked witch wanted those ruby red slippers from Dorothy because they were rare.    
Questions for Understanding:  
What does noble mean?  Noble means extraordinary.  The Proverbs 31 woman can only be noble if she trusts God.

What can you trust God for? Possible answers may be food, taking care of my family, taking care of me- solicit that we should trust God for everything! 

Why is your birthday special? (solicit answers like "it only comes once a year", "it doesn't happen often") Use these responses as a springboard to talk about that the Prov. 31 woman is special because she is hard to find and she's not someone you meet everyday.  

{Tip: As you discuss these verses with your daughter-keep it short and sweet.  A good measure to keep your daughter's attention is keep your discussion to about 1 minute per year of her age.  My talks with Holly won't be any longer than 8 minutes.  Any longer and you'll lose their interest. And make sure you let her talk-don't dominate as if you are lecturing her!}

See you next time as we dive into verses 12,13, & 14!

I'm linking here:

2 Comments:

  1. Loooooooooove it! Way to go Holly and Kris. This is a wonderful idea and one that I will definitely be participating in with Emma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea, Kris. I've never considered what the Prov. 31 daughter might do or need. I don't have a daughter, but love that you're helping to equip those who do.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

 
Design by April Showers