Monday, November 26, 2012

I've been Elf-ed

For a couple of years now, I resisted this little guy-

The "Good, Christian doctrinally-sound Mama" in me said this is no good, I want the focus of our Christmas to be Jesus.   
But the "Creative, want-to-make-memories Mama" in me said this would be so fun!!!  
As my son enters his 14th year, I realize how quickly time goes.  My 8 year old daughter still believes in Santa, but I know that gig is almost up.

Years ago when I was a new Mama, a well meaning experienced Christian Mama said to me, "How can you let your children believe in Santa? What if, when they find out Santa isn't real, they question if Jesus is real?"  I thought long and hard about this.  She brought up a good point.  I thought of my own childhood.  I believed in Santa and never once questioned Jesus.  Why was that?  Then it hit me, Jesus was (is) a part of our everyday lives-Santa wasn't.  We talk(ed) about Him, pray(ed) to Him, and depend(ed) upon Him.  Jesus that is-not Santa.  I am confident that Jesus is King of our home and my children would never interchange the King with Santa.  

So, I draw on that confidence as I make the decision to let the Elf into our home.  I don't plan on using him to "make" my children be good.  I have "Mr. Spanky" for that LOL.  But rather my goal is to make memories and have fun with my children.  Even though my 14 year old tough guy won't believe it for a second, I know he will laugh with us and REMEMBER it.  My 8 year old is so tenderhearted that she will absolutely LOVE it.  

Our Elf will be making his first appearance on Saturday, December 1st.  I can't wait!  In the meantime, I'm gathering all kinds of fun ideas!  
Visit my Christmas board on Pinterest to see what I've found so far!


I would love to hear any of your creative ideas for your Elf!

Blessings to you,
Kris



2 Comments:

  1. An impressive post, I just gave this to a colleague who is doing a little analysis on this topic. And he is very happy and thanking me for finding it Cottage Home Plan But all thanks to you for writing in such simple words. Big thumb up for this blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going through the exact same process in my own heart. Then I reminded myself that I too enjoyed the childhood of "believing" there was a Santa. And like you...I NEVER once doubted that Jesus was real! He IS my everything, the ONE I turn to for every part of my life. Praise be to HIM.

    Thanks for sharing such an awesome post!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

 
Design by April Showers