Saturday, December 15, 2012

Why My Kids Don't Make A Christmas List




The reason is quite simple: 
I don't want to raise self-centered children.
You know the old acronym: 
Jesus 
Others
Yourself

A Christmas list definitely doesn't fit into the Jesus and others category.

This is not to say that I never had my kids make a list-a couple of years ago they made one-probably about 2 years in a row.  And it just felt wrong.  
There's all this TALK about keeping Jesus the reason for the season- how does making a list of everything I WANT keep Jesus the center of our Christmas.
It doesn't.  It can't.

How do I know what my kids want for Christmas?  
Firstly, I buy them what they NEED.  This is the time of year that I restock -socks, underwear, clothes the next size up, shoes, etc.  Are my kids disappointed-No! They love getting the new things that they need.  We've always done this and they have appreciated it.  

Secondly, I know my children.  I know their interests and their hearts.  So I know what they want.  They share their desires from time to time when a commercial comes on or they see something in the store.  I take mental notes.

In my mind it makes sense-don't overindulge them and the children are appreciative and not self centered. 

I don't want to give the whole "Jesus is the Reason" lip service.  In our home, eliminating the Christmas list, has been a simple way to help us and our children stay focused on Him.

Psalm 119:36 "Turn my heart toward your statutes
    and not toward selfish gain."





1 Comments:

ShareThis

 
Design by April Showers